Reporting to the Director of Major Gifts, the Senior Associate Director, Major Gifts is a vital member of the School's frontline fundraising team focused on raising major and principal gifts from ultra-high-net-worth alumni and friends. Utilizing complex gift strategies that align donors philanthropic priorities to the vision and mission of the School, the Senior Associate Director, Major Gifts engages, cultivates, solicits, and stewards gifts of the highest impact. These donors and potential donors are successful MBA alumni, parents, and friends and are leaders at top organizations around the world. The School is fortunate to have a base of dedicated and accomplished donors interested in funding top priorities including scholarship and fellowship support, faculty support, research, facilities, and new, forward-looking opportunities.
As a key member of the major gifts team, Senior Associate Director, Major Gifts will play an important role in expanding Columbia Business School’s philanthropic community by developing and managing a portfolio of donors with the capacity to give principal gifts. He or she will collaborate with senior leadership, faculty, and colleagues throughout the department, School, and University to ensure outreach to alumni and donors is coordinated and effective.
This individual will instill the values of teamwork, integrity, accountability, and respect.
1. With a focus on major and principal gift prospects ($250,000 to $5,000,000+), independently develops and manages the identification, cultivation, and solicitation process for a portfolio of approximately 75-100 ultra-high net worth prospects based primarily in global regions.
2. Partners with the Assistant Dean, Major Gifts and the Director, Major Gifts to develop an overarching vision for ultra-high-net worth individual donor support.
3. Serves as an effective spokesperson and representative for Columbia Business School and for its funding priorities. Travels independently and with leadership to deepen relationships between prospects and the School.
4. Serves as lead and/or partner on special strategic fundraising projects.
5. Mentors at least 2 fundraising colleagues providing guidance on prospect strategy through the fundraising cycle.
6. Partners with the staff, faculty, and board for key centers and programs to develop fundraising strategy while serving as liaison to Development and Alumni Relations.
7. Partners with CBS faculty to develop programs and their fundraising opportunities and strategies as necessary.
8. In collaboration with other members of the team and department, helps with the development and execution of creative cultivation and engagement events associated with the major gifts program.
9. Performs other development-related tasks as necessary and partners with the director, team, and department on special projects as needed.
Bachelor's degree required. Minimum 4-6 years related experience required, with a preference for international fundraising experience.
Minimum of six years of frontline fundraising experience or equivalent sales or marketing experience required, with a proven record of increased responsibility, outstanding relationship building and management skills, and clear interest and experience related to building strategy, motivational teamwork, negotiations, and creative problem solving.
The candidate will be committed to fully supporting and participating in a highly collaborative and supportive team environment, while handling various task deadlines in a high-volume, high-demand department. The applicant must be creative, enterprising, persuasive, and tactful. Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills required. Travel, evening, and weekend hours required.
Sales or fundraising track record of closing six to eight+ figure gifts including planned gifts desired. Demonstrated commitment to advancement and higher education preferred.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.
Thank you - we'll send an email shortly.
Other Recently Posted Jobs
Wait! Before you go, are you interested in a career at Columbia University? Sign up here!
Thank you, for sharing your information. A member of our team will reach out to you soon!