- Requisition no: 527125
- Work type: Full Time
- Location: Medical Center
- School/Department: Mailman School of Public Health Administration
- Grade: Grade 104
- Categories: Administrative Support
The Digital Strategist is the creative and lead contributor to the Mailman School’s social media communications. The Strategist has experience in social storytelling, has a bold understanding of digital content, and can translate familiarity of the School into compelling stories for the School’s social media properties, media, and other communications vehicles at Columbia University Medical Center and Columbia University. The Strategist thrives in a fastpaced environment and enjoys using web technologies to achieve business growth goals.
The Strategist is the School’s lead social media programmer, creating compelling stories and devising campaigns for current and evolving social media platforms that generate increased interest in the Mailman School and in public health more broadly. The Strategist works with the Senior Director of Digital Strategy to develop new social strategies, analyze social metrics and suggest solutions to boost engagement, compile metrics to forecast trends, keep up-to-date with our audience's preferences, proactively suggest new campaigns and technologies, maintain day-to-day social content, and establish best practices in digital communications.
Working in tandem with others in the Office of Communications, particularly the Associate Director of Digital and the Editorial Director, the Strategist creates compelling social stories from research, news, events, student activities, and milestones at the Mailman School. The strategist also works with peer communicators elsewhere at the School to identify needs and new opportunities to increase brand awareness that demonstrate the breadth of faculty and student knowledge of public health. With a keen awareness of audience, the Strategist connects the School's brand with online users, sets digital strategies using all necessary tools, and researches products, services, and current strategies to identify new digital opportunities.
- Manages all School social media platforms, contributing news content and special campaign strategies to boost audience and interest in public health. 45%
- Generates, edits, publishes, schedules and shares engaging content daily (e.g. original text, photos, videos and news)
- Communicates with followers, responds to queries in a timely manner and monitors customer reviews
- Oversees social media accounts’ design (e.g. Facebook timeline cover, profile pictures and layouts)
- Reviews, selects, and formats content from other Mailman content sources for stories to promote on website and through social media.
- Manages digital strategies with all School audiences, connecting content with online users. 45%
- Uses all necessary tools (website, tracking IDs, email, social media, video) to evaluate improvements, researching products, services, and current strategies to identify new digital opportunities
- Monitors SEO and web traffic metrics
- Suggests and implements new features to develop brand awareness, like promotions and competitions
- Stays up-to-date with current technologies and trends in social media, design tools and applications
- Collaborates with other teams and departments to ensure brand consistency
- Performs other duties as required. 10%
Bachelor's degree or equivalent in training, experience and education with at least three years of directly related experience in social storytelling and generating strategies for multiple digital vehicles.
Ability to deliver creative and engaging content (text, image and video).
Excellent oral/written communications, interpersonal, organizational, and editing skills required.
Solid knowledge of SEO, keyword research and Google Analytics
Must be able to work independently on multiple projects with changing deadlines and priorities.
Sophisticated understanding of current and emerging social media platforms that would support Mailman School content.
HTML and web content management experience a plus.
Interest in public health and prior experience in academic and/or healthcare environments desirable.
Analytical and project management skills preferred.
The candidate selected for this position must undergo a full background check before a final offer of employment is made.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.