- Job Type: Officer of Administration
- Bargaining Unit:
- Regular/Temporary: Regular
- End Date if Temporary:
- Hours Per Week: 35
- Salary Range: commensurate with experience
The Center on Global Energy Policy (CGEP) at the School of International and Public Affairs seeks a Director of Events who will work closely with Center staff to play a lead role in the planning and executing of the Center's 120+ public events and private convenings per year. Since the Director’s responsibilities will touch upon many aspects of Center programming, the incumbent must be exceptionally organized and possess the ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment. Familiarity with the energy-related topics covered by the Center is preferred. This role will serve as the primary contact for Center stakeholders, including senior policymakers, industry executives and Columbia faculty and administration, for all events related inquiries, updates, and communication. The position reports to the Senior Director of Communications and Policy Strategy.
A particular focus for the organization is the impact of issues of racism, environmental justice, gender equality, and inclusion in our energy system. The Center supports a culturally diverse, inclusive and equitable work environment, reflected across our staffing, leadership, scholarship and operations.
Develop events portfolio strategy
In collaboration with research scholars, the Event Content Director, the Senior Director of Communications and Policy Strategy, and the Research Director, develop a comprehensive annual events portfolio to maximize the impact and reach of CGEP’s research findings and scholar expertise. The incumbent will partner with research scholars in developing event objectives, defining target audiences, securing event support from internal and external partners, and remaining in compliance with grant and gift agreements.
Increase diversity efforts of CGEP through events by ensuring diverse panelists, topics of discussions, audiences, inclusive program materials, and others.
Manage a team to plan and execute events based on the defined strategy
The Center hosts senior-level roundtables, a public speaker series, conferences, and other events focused on global energy policy issues as well as events related to CGEP’s special projects including the Women in Energy Program and the Energy Journalism Initiative. This position will directly supervise an Assistant Director of Events and Events Coordinator(s). Under direction from the incumbent, the events team will oversee all event activities including: preparing project plans and tracking deliverables; coordinating all event logistics (including A/V, catering, venue selection, online marketing and registration, speaker and participant communications); developing and maintaining a library of event media (including events photos and videos); overseeing the large-scale launch of virtual and hybrid events; providing on-site support from setup to breakdown; conducting background research; and preparing printed materials.
Grow and target CGEP audience to expand impact
Utilize new technologies and platforms including YouTube Live, Zoom Meeting, Zoom Webinar, etc., to strategically expand CGEP’s audience and reach. In coordination with the communications team, the incumbent will maintain, manage and grow CGEP email lists. Use experience and expertise to segment the CGEP audience to provide targeted value based on interest, location, status (e.g. student, professional, faculty, etc.), and other dimensions. The incumbent will contribute to the selection, design and implementation of a CRM software solution such as Salesforce across the Center.
Collaborate with CGEP’s Communications team on promotion of events to ensure a targeted audience attendance.
Lead best practice and process improvement activities
The Director will be responsible for maintaining knowledge of current equipment, software, technical production and establishing best practices and process improvement activities for events – both in person, virtual and hybrid models. As one aspect, incumbent will provide regular training to Center staff and scholars regarding best practices and technology adoption and utilization. The Director will develop and maintain a resource library of assorted events-related guides, policies, templates, and on-demand virtual trainings accessible by Center staff, scholars, and students.
Track and report on event metrics.
This position will be responsible for utilizing a CRM system to maintain accurate and detailed records of metrics including number of in-person attendees, number of online viewers, speaker and moderator diversity; attrition rates; and email marketing metrics; soliciting attendee feedback through informal and formal post-event evaluations, and analyzing collected data for trends to help develop and implement continuous improvements to maximize the value of CGEP events. This position will develop individual event budgets, share responsibility for event execution within approved budget and track and reconcile all event-related expenditures through ARC and a CRM software solution such as Salesforce.
Assist with other Center-based activities as needed, including but not limited to coordination and execution for board meetings, team building events, global and internal events.
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent in training and experience. At least five years of directly relevant experience with planning, promotion and execution of in-person and virtual events;
- Excellent communication, organization and interpersonal skills, including strong attention to detail, follow-through and ability to work efficiently and effectively with a team and independently in a very fast-paced environment;
- Strong computer skills and proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and Google Drive;
- Familiarity with social media platforms including Facebook and Twitter;
- Willingness to regularly work early mornings and late evenings; ability to travel domestically and internationally as needed;
- Managerial experience including but not limited to hiring, training, coaching and motivating a team to deliver quality work;
- Ability to foster an inclusive workplace where diversity and individual differences are valued and leveraged to achieve the vision and mission of the organization.
- 9+ years of directly relevant, progressive experience with planning, promotion and execution of in-person and virtual events; experience with designing and delivering staff trainings;
- Previous experience in energy policy event management and a familiarity with the topics covered by the Center;
- Previous experience in higher education, non-profit or NGO’s;
- Experience drafting event focused emergency plans;
- Experience with project management;
- Events marketing experience (e.g. Mailchimp, Greenvelope).
- Experience with graphic design (e.g. Canvas, InDesign, PPT).
- Demonstrated ability to write run of show schedules, event set-up, and strike instructions;
- Resourcefulness in finding appropriate solutions to problems and initiative in presenting alternatives and implementing solutions to ensure effective change.
- Ability to anticipate problems and take necessary action to eliminate or mitigate potential negative effects.
- Strong experience with Salesforce or other CRM systems; experience with Adobe Creative Suite and graphic design.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.