- Requisition no: 523847
- Work type: Full Time
- Location: Medical Center
- School/Department: Microbiology and Immunology
- Grade: Technical Grade 4
- Categories: Health/Clinical, Research (Lab and Non-Lab)
- Job Type: Support Staff - Union
- Bargaining Unit: SSA
- Regular/Temporary: Regular
- End Date if Temporary:
- Hours Per Week: 35
- Salary Range: $47,613.23
The laboratory of Mucosal immunology at the Department of Microbiology & Immunology is seeking a full-time laboratory Technician B to assist with experiments in the field of microbiota and mucosal immunology. Our lab studies the role of commensal microbes and diet in autoimmune diseases, such as obesity, type 2 diabetes, and inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD).
Reporting to the PI and working with senior lab members, the Technician will help with laboratory operations and participate in wide range of experiments. This is an opportunity to develop or strengthen research and laboratory skills as part of a dynamic and collaborative team at the forefront of mucosal immunology research.
Columbia University offers a range of competitive benefits – including, but not limited to – tuition exemption, comprehensive health coverage, paid holidays and time off accruals, tax savings, life insurance, and voluntary benefits.
- Perform experiments under the direction of senior lab personnel in areas such as preclinical animal studies, tissue collection and dissection, flow cytometry and molecular analyses.
- Record and track experimental results accurately.
- Assist with genotyping and management of mouse colonies.
- Assist with ordering and maintaining inventory of laboratory supplies.
- Prepare solutions adhering to specific instructions, and maintain equipment or specific laboratory resources.
- Research experience in a biology lab
- Strong organizational skills and ability to maintain detailed laboratory records
- Ability to set up and conduct experiments or activities according to established protocols
- Affinity to work with laboratory mice
- Knowledge of related basic laboratory techniques
- Required Documents
- Cover letter describing experience and motivation for applying to the position
- Undergraduate Transcripts
- Information for three reference letter writers, please describe relation to candidate
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.