Research Staff Assistant
- Requisition no: 521937
- Work type: Full Time
- Location: Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory
- School/Department: Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory
- Grade: Grade R4
- Categories: Research (Lab and Non-Lab)
- Job Type: Support Staff - Non-Union
- Bargaining Unit:
- Regular/Temporary: Temporary
- End Date if Temporary: 07/31/2022
- Hours Per Week: 35
- Salary Range:
The Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory of Columbia University located in Palisades, New York, is seeking a Research Staff Assistant for a temporary position. Under the direct supervision of the Lamont Associate Research Professor, the Research Staff Assistant will assist with sample preparation in the Terrestrial Paleoclimate and Organic Geochemistry Laboratories. This includes preparing sediment samples for solvent extraction, separation and purification of biomarkers using column chromatography and derivatizations. It also includes pretreating and weighing tooth enamel and other carbonate samples for stable isotope analysis. It may also include assisting the Lamont Associate Research Professor with sample management, and sample and chemical analysis.
- Assist with sample preparation.
- Biomarker separation and clean up.
- Tooth enamel sample prep and weighing.
- Support general lab maintenance and operation.
Bachelor’s degree in geology, biology, chemistry or a closely related discipline and preferably 1 or more years of experience with organic geochemistry, laboratory protocols, and related instrumentation required.
Must be detail oriented and have strong organizational skills.
Must be independent and self-reliant and have excellent written and verbal communication skills; English skills required.
Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer - Race / Gender / Disability / Veteran
The Lamont campus values diversity and inclusion, and encourages applications from members of underrepresented minority groups.
We accept online applications only.