Manager of Communications & Knowledge Transfer
- Requisition no: 521475
- Work type: Full Time
- Location: Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory
- School/Department: Earth Institute
- Grade: Grade 13
- Categories: Commun/PR/Editorial
- Job Type: Officer of Administration
- Bargaining Unit: N/A
- Regular/Temporary: Regular
- End Date if Temporary: N/A
- Hours Per Week: 35
- Salary Range: Commensurate with experience
Reporting to the Deputy Director of the LEAP center, the Manager of Communications & Knowledge Transfer will oversee the communications and knowledge transfer activities of the Center. These activities include managing the LEAP website, social media, and partnering events, such as organizing the annual symposium, workshops and related seminars. The LEAP Center will have a diverse network of external partners from non-profits and governmental organizations to small startups and large corporations. It will be the responsibility of the Manager to work closely with the LEAP leadership and research teams to generate effective communication strategies and approaches to maximize the impact of the Center’s knowledge transfer activities. This will include an annual survey of corporate and public partners to access our clients needs and measure the impact of our activities. The Manager will serve as the liaison between the LEAP leadership and our partners, an important role in expanding the Center’s reach and building a dynamic learning community.
- Develop and execute a strategic communications plan for the Center in conjunction with its partners and affiliates in alignment with diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) priorities
- Write and edit other communications for public relations and direct marketing
- Design, develop, and update content for the Center’s website including news releases and blog posts, event landing pages, photo and image galleries, multimedia presentations, data visualizations, interactive graphics, infographics, and presentation slide decks
- Be responsive to audience engagement through web and social media platforms (e.g., Twitter, LinkedIn, Reddit, Facebook) and activities.
Partner Relations & Management:
- Manage existing and expand corporate and community partnerships in alignment with DEI priorities
- Plan and coordinate meetings between the LEAP team and external public and private partners.
- Track and manage engagement with external partners of LEAP, including developing and maintaining a client relations management system
- Create and maintain the LEAP tiered affiliates program to be implemented in Years 2+.
- Organize and oversee the annual symposia/workshops/seminars and other knowledge transfer events for external partners
- Develop, launch and maintain marketing activities of events, including establishing registration pages, developing marketing materials, and post-event communications with external partners.
- Coordinate with university IT & facilities personnel to set-up and secure event A/V equipment/resources for both virtual, hybrid, and in-person events.
- Be responsible for run-of-show preparations and management.
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI). Receives and helps support training on DEI in the Center and Center activities.
Survey & Reporting:
- Work closely with the Chief Equity Officer and the LEAP Knowledge Transfer Team to assess communications and partnership strategies, develop and conduct an annual survey of corporate and public partners to assess climate data & modeling needs and the effectiveness of our communication & knowledge transfer strategies and approaches.
- Write an annual report of such findings
- Liaise with the research and data teams of LEAP to ensure that the climate information portal and our knowledge transfer approach is reflecting the needs of the wide range of partners
Organizational Performance Tracking:
- Track performance metrics regarding knowledge transfer to/from corporations and public partners
- Track knowledge transfer activities and platforms (website, climate data infrastructure)
- Track Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) efforts within the Center (hiring, code of conduct)
- Support team in producing annual reports for NSF & external partners
Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree and/or its equivalent required.
- 4+ years related experience; minimum two years of prior experience in communications, project management, event planning, and/or client relations, minimum two years of prior experience in diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Demonstrated commitment to valuing diversity, equity and inclusion and evidence of contributing to an inclusive working and learning environment
- Proven excellence in written communication skills, including writing, proofreading, and editing.
- Detail orientated and proven track record of taking initiative and is able to anticipate and prioritize tasks
- Proficiency in Mac OS and Windows operating systems and relevant software applications, including Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, Photoshop.
- Experience with GitHub, web programming or python is a plus.
- Be an active user of social media, with a focus on audience engagement and advancing an institute/organization’s brand and voice.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.