- Requisition no: 520676
- Work type: Full Time
- Location: Medical Center
- School/Department: Institute for Cancer Genetics
- Grade: Technical Grade 5
- Categories: Research (Lab and Non-Lab)
- Job Type: Support Staff - Union
- Bargaining Unit: SSA
- Regular/Temporary: Regular
- Hours Per Week: 35
- Salary Range: $53,517.12
This laboratory performs research in cancer. The incumbent will perform experiments with mouse models of cancer, maintaining colonies, performing animal surgeries, and tissue collection. Additional responsibilities pertain to laboratory safety, organizing supplies, research reagents, equipment maintenance, monitoring and ordering lab supplies and other related duties as required.
- Setting up experiments, recording results and maintaining scientific records
- DNA and RNA preparation, PCR, recombinant DNA cloning
- Gel electrophoresis, protein analysis and Western blots,
- Tissue culture, immunostaining and microscopy;
- Carrying out standard procedures for protocols; assisting in data collection and analysis
- Assisting lab members with setup of experiments and data capture
- Ordering and maintaining inventory of laboratory supplies and chemicals
- Maintaining laboratory equipment
- Enforcing safety regulations and Providing quality control
- Performing other related duties as necessary to the proper functioning of the laboratory
- Bachelor’s degree and 1.5 years of related experience or equivalent in education, training and experience in the aforementioned area.
- Experience with cell culture, animal studies and standard molecular biology and cell biology techniques.
- Good interpersonal communications skills are required.
- It will be necessary to work late on occasion to complete experiments.
- Two years minimum of research related experience
- Ability to work independently, under minimal supervision
- Knowledge of basic chemical and/or biological terminology and techniques
- Knowledge in researching literature applicable to the field
- Ability to present experimental data to principal investigator
- Ability to use statistics
- Ability to perform work in a neat and orderly manner in accordance with safety regulations
- Ability to train lower-level technicians
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.