- Requisition no: 519864
- Work type: Full Time
- Location: Medical Center
- School/Department: Pathology and Cell Biology
- Grade: Grade 104
- Categories: Health/Clinical, Research (Lab and Non-Lab)
- Job Type: Officer of Administration
- Regular/Temporary: Regular
- Hours Per Week: 35
- Surgical Pathology - Assisting in the preparation and performance of surgical specimen dissection by ensuring appropriate specimen accessioning: obtaining pertinent clinical information and studies; describing gross anatomic features; dissecting surgical specimens; preparing and submitting tissue for histologic processing; obtaining specimens for additional analytic procedures (flow cytometry, IF, EM, etc.) and assisting in photographing gross specimens.
- Autopsy Pathology - Assisting in the performance of post-mortem examination by ascertaining proper legal authorization; obtaining the pertinent clinical data and studies; notifying involved personnel of all special procedures and techniques required; coordinating special requests for specimens notifying involved clinicians and appropriate authorities; assisting in the port-mortem examination; obtaining and submitting tissue for additional analytic procedures and assisting in photographing gross specimens, assist and organize teaching materials.
- Responsible for assisting Pathology residents on training Pathology support staff in the proper techniques of post-mortem examinations in accordance with established policies and procedures. Responsible for maintaining the autopsy suite, acquiring necessary supplies, and cleaning and disinfection o autopsy equipment as necessary.
- Will apply and enforce policies and procedures in accordance with all internal and external regulate requirements. Will be expected to be available by pager for telephone consultation during laboratory off-hours. Will be expected to be available by pager for telephone consultation during laboratory off-hours. Will be expected to provide coverage on off-hours (night and weekends). Will perform other related duties necessary for the laboratory.
- Requires a bachelor's degree or equivalent in education and experience, plus 3 years of related experience.
- Experience with Copath or a similar laboratory computer system is preferred
- Graduate from an accredited Pathologist's Assistant training program or a Fellow of the American Association of Pathologists' Assistant (AAPA) preferred.
- Must be physically able to perform autopsies
- Must exercise independent judgement with respect to evaluation fixation, freezing, and preparation of specimens for light microscopic evaluation and other special studies.
- Must demonstrate excellent communication, interpersonal and writing skills
- Pathologist Assistant License or must be New York State license eligible.
- Must successfully complete systems training requirements.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.