Community Research Coordinator
- Requisition no: 519855
- Work type: Full Time
- Location: Medical Center
- School/Department: Herbert Irving Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Grade: Grade 103
- Categories: General Administration
- Job Type: Officer of Administration
- Regular/Temporary: Regular
- Hours Per Week: 35
The Office of Community Outreach and Engagement (COE) at the Herbert Irving Comprehensive Cancer Center works with communities to remove access barriers to cancer prevention, screening and survivor-ship services in order to reduce the cancer burden and cancer health disparities in the Cancer Center’s Catchment area. COE is looking for a Community Research Coordinator who will support community research projects within New York City and surrounding communities. Reporting to the Operations Manager, the community research coordinator is charged with supporting research and outreach initiatives to engage communities within the Cancer Center’s catchment area.
- Execute community research programs and protocols in compliance with all regulatory and institutional requirements
- Performs data collection, data entry, and data analysis for research projects, databases and research protocols for COE. Ensures data quality and integrity during each phase of data collection and for each protocol assigned.
- Work closely with the study PI and co-investigators to implement a community-based health assessment survey
- Assist with research activities in community and clinical settings
- Organizes projects and collaborates with multidisciplinary teams and personnel as needed to complete assigned tasks.
- Assist with grant applications and publications
- Prepare IRB submissions, modifications, and renewals
- Provide Cancer related health and wellness education to the community, including diverse audiences by engaging, educating and conducting outreach with faith-based organizations, service organizations, and community organizations throughout New York City.
- Work with community partners in carrying out initiatives needed in community related to cancer prevention and controls
- Serve as liaison between research staff and community organizations and leaders and maintains regular contact with interested agencies
- Participate in outreach with Spanish speaking community-based organizations
- Assist with Spanish educational materials and communications
- Provides weekly status updates on outreach activities
- Coordinate meetings and perform other tasks as assigned
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in education and experience required plus 2 years related experience.
- Culturally competent to work with diverse communities
- Knowledge of cancer prevention and health science
- Previous experience in research studies
- Ability to work independently and with initiative to keep the organization moving
- Master’s degree in public health, epidemiology or a related science and at least three years of experience or Bachelor’s degree and at least five years of related experience, or equivalent in education, training and experience.
- Background in community-based research
- Excellent interpersonal, communication (both verbal and in writing) and organizational skills
- Excellent public speaking and presentation skills
- Fluency in Spanish
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.