Web Developer (Java)
- Requisition no: 519773
- Work type: Full Time
- Location: Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory
- School/Department: Center for Intl Earth Science Info Network
- Grade: Grade 12
- Categories: Information Technology
- Job Type: Officer of Administration
- Bargaining Unit:
- Regular/Temporary: Regular
- End Date if Temporary:
- Hours Per Week: 35
- Salary Range:
- Completes applications development by coordinating requirements, schedules, and activities in collaboration with scientists, researchers, GIS analysts, and system developers; contributing to team meetings; presenting proof-of-concepts and prototypes; troubleshooting development and production problems across multiple environments and operating platforms.
- Assists team members with software and system integration and maintenance by updating and maintaining software configurations for technologies such as Apache, Tomcat, Git, and CMS.
- Updates job knowledge by researching new technologies and software products; participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Contributes to development of technical documents by writing specification documents for web applications.
- Supports users by developing documentation and assistance tools.
- Receives direct supervision from Senior Staff Associate / Associate Director for Information Technology.
- Exercised independent judgment and initiative required within parameters set by the supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or its equivalent and a minimum of 3 years of related experience required.
- Strong knowledge of Object Oriented Analysis and Design, Software Design Patterns and Java coding principles.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be able to work independently and efficiently within a fast-paced, team-oriented environment.
- Ability to work with changing priorities and multiple projects.
- Precision and attention to detail are essential.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to do weekend and off-hour work on occasion.
- Familiarity working with geospatial web services such as WMS, WFS, WCS, and WPS.
- Proficiency in web-related *nix administration and Linux/Unix-style command line.
- Familiarity with any of Drupal, PHP, Python, R is a plus.
Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer - Race / Gender / Disability / Veteran
The Lamont campus values diversity and inclusion, and encourages applications from members of underrepresented minority groups.
We accept online applications only.