- Requisition no: 519509
- Work type: Full Time
- Location: Morningside
- School/Department: Facilities Operations
- Grade: Grade 7
- Categories: Facilities/Maint/Trades/RealEs
- Job Type: Support Staff - Non-Union
- Bargaining Unit:
- Regular/Temporary: Regular
- End Date if Temporary:
- Hours Per Week: 40
- Salary Range:
Schedule: Monday - Friday 8:00am-4:00pm 24/7 on-call
The Superintendent is expected to monitor any issues that affect asset value and resident satisfaction in any assigned portfolio property. The Superintendent anticipates the needs of the residents, working with the Porters and Handypersons on site to ensure delivery of services at a level that will meet residents’ utmost satisfaction.
- The Superintendent is responsible for maintaining all operating equipment in the premises. This duty will include regular inspections of facilities and equipment to determine the need and extent of service, and maintenance of any equipment.
- The Superintendent will repair and maintain equipment, common areas, and apartments as needed, as well as perform maintenance on roofs, fire escapes, and any other items relevant to the efficient management of a property.
- The Superintendent will be comfortable with office suite and industry-specific technology and its use in providing building maintenance and client services.
- The Superintendent will maintain records about tenant inquiries and other records of residential operations. Information collected may need to be used in created reports, as instructed by the Regional Manager.
- Duties include, but are not limited to, maintaining and fully cleaning apartments. Heavy lifting, moving residential appliances, and snow shoveling are required.
- The Superintendent will monitor any outstanding work orders, on-site projects, or other work done at a portfolio property to ensure its satisfactory completion. The Superintendent will further ensure all necessary legal requirements are met and proper documentation is captured and preserved.
- The Superintendent will regularly communicate with building staff to maintain knowledge of their set of abilities and also any training needs and keep the Regional Manager apprised of their status.
- The Superintendent will monitor work to ensure compliance with all policies and procedures, including safety guidelines and regulations.
- A standard for all employees at Columbia Residential is to provide first-class customer service to prospects and residents. The Superintendent will ensure that all resident requests are handled promptly and professionally.
- Unexpected maintenance needs will be properly managed and any communication with the residents will be handled in a manner that is timely and professional.
- The Superintendent will develop and maintain positive relationships with Columbia Residential residents, staff, and vendors.
THE BUILDING SUPERINTENDENT IS REQUIRED TO RESIDE IN UNIVERSITY HOUSING.
THE BUILDING SUPERINTENDENT IS REQUIRED TO BE AVAILABLE ALWAYS FOR EMERGENCY ON CALL DUTIES
- High School Diploma or equivalent required, plus a minimum of 3 years related experience, which should include experience as a Handyperson and/or Porter. Computer proficiency is required.
- Ability to attain required certificates or licenses including: Standpipe Certificate, Sprinkler Certificate, No. 6 Boiler License, No. 6 Fuel Oil Certificate of Fitness.
- Essential duties of the job include heavy lifting and a possibility of outdoor work in any type of weather.
- Must be well versed in the proper operation and maintenance of absorption air conditioning, chiller units and their auxiliaries.
- The candidate should also have a working knowledge of oil fired low pressure boilers and their auxiliaries; fire safety systems; and be able to ensure that they are in good working order at all times.
- Supervisory experience is preferred.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.