Assistant Director, Human Resources
- Requisition no: 519496
- Work type: Full Time
- Location: Manhattanville
- School/Department: Finance and Administration
- Grade: Grade 13
- Categories: Human Resources
- Job Type: Officer of Administration
- Bargaining Unit:
- Regular/Temporary: Regular
- End Date if Temporary:
- Hours Per Week: 35
- Salary Range: Commensurate with experience
Reporting to the Director of Human Resources for Columbia University Facilities and Operations (CUF&O) the Assistant Director develops human resources programs by providing human resources services, including recruitment, staffing, employment processing, training and development, records management, safety, succession planning, employee relations and retention, AA/EEO compliance, and labor relations; completing personnel transactions.
- The Assistant Director will provide HR support and develop close working relationships with assigned client areas to understand and accomplish their business objectives.
- Ensures that HR related programs are carried out in accordance with Columbia's policies and procedures and provide advice to clients with respect to the interpretation of policies and procedures.
- Partner with client Services/LR on Employee and Labor Relations to provide guidance and counseling to managers and employees issues with assigned client areas.
- The Assistant Director will be expected to develop and manage programs in recruitment and sourcing to improve recruitment and retention.
- As assigned by the Director, will have primary responsibility for the operational aspects of the department's recruitment and hiring process.
- The Assistant Director will be responsible for working in close collaboration with the management team to oversee the recruitment and selection of high caliber, suitable and diverse candidates with special focus in providing a qualified pool of applicants for each position.
- The Assistant Director will analyze trends and make recommendations on going service improvement efforts for the services provided by the CUF&O Human Resources office.
- Reviews and approves recruitment process/activities, as it relates to TalentLink, for assigned client areas; work closely with management staff to develop job descriptions.
- In addition, the Assistant Director will ensure that all employees receive an outstanding new hire experience.
- Performs other special projects as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 4-6 years of related experience required.
- Four to six years of relevant experience in Human Resources required.
- Must have at least two years of demonstrated successful recruitment experience preferably in higher education and/or facilities management field.
- A track record of developing a strategic recruitment program.
- Ability to function independently and under pressure and to exercise a high degree of professionalism, diplomacy, discretion, and good judgement in sensitive, and confidential matters required.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain highly effective relationships, externally and internally.
- Knowledge of principles and practices of HR Management required.
- Strong interpersonal, presentation, oral and written communications.
- Weekends or off-hour work may be required on occasion.
- Advanced degree desirable.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.