Desktop Support Specialist
- Requisition no: 517869
- Work type: Full Time
- Location: Morningside
- School/Department: Finance and Administration
- Grade: Grade 10
- Categories: Information Technology, Facilities/Maint/Trades/RealEs, Other
- Job Type: Officer of Administration
- Bargaining Unit:
- Regular/Temporary: Regular
- End Date if Temporary:
- Hours Per Week: 35
- Salary Range: Commensurate with experience
Reporting to the Assistant Director of Client Support Services, the Desktop Support Specialist provides advanced level on-site support to 2000+ end-users utilizing deep technical expertise in a service oriented environment. Must have extensive technical experience with Microsoft Office productivity tools, with a solid working knowledge of Microsoft Windows computing environment in order to gather, organize and document relevant information directly from clients into helpdesk ticketing system. Provides support that may include procedural documentation, standards, and best practices. Uses root cause analysis and industry knowledge for resolving problems; brokers incident/problem escalations to Information Technology colleagues and managers when appropriate.
- The Desktop Support Specialist is responsible for the follow through on resolution throughout the IT framework and contributes to knowledge bases and tracking.
- He/She determines the appropriate level of troubleshooting for hardware, software and networking problems on desktop and portable computers, PDAs, printers, and other peripherals across multiple campuses.
- Installs and upgrades desktop software, hardware, and other peripherals as directed.
- Provides timely problem resolution and coordination for third party and in-house application using the departmental helpdesk application.
- Develops and presents end-user training materials as directed.
- Incumbent is also expected to monitor and evaluate current computer and networking technologies and trends.
- Must have the ability to lift and move computer equipment.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree and or equivalent in experience required
- Minimum 0-2 years related experience required.
- Thorough knowledge of PC hardware, desktop operating systems, mobile devices, printers and applications (Windows 10/7, MS Office, MSIE, Visio, MS Project, etc), basic networking tools (SFTP, telnet, VPN, etc), and printers necessary.
- Basic understanding of TCP/IP networking is required.
- Excellent customer service, interpersonal, telephone, organizational, oral and written communication as well as demonstrated problem solving skills required.
- Ability to maintain a high level of client trust and confidence in client concerns and needs while helping them understand policy and technology implications is essential.
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks under limited supervision required.
- During peak periods such as Student Orientation, Commencement etc. will be required to work occasional evening and weekend, as needed.
- Must be able to lift and move computer equipment as necessary.
- Any relevant certifications (A+, Network+, MCSA) are a strong plus. Some technical writing desirable.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.