Environmental Controls Supervisor
- Requisition no: 516954
- Work type: Full Time
- Location: Morningside
- School/Department: Facilities Operations
- Grade: Grade 12
- Categories: Facilities/Maint/Trades/RealEs
- Job Type: Officer of Administration
- Bargaining Unit:
- Regular/Temporary: Regular
- End Date if Temporary:
- Hours Per Week: 35
- Salary Range: Commensurate with experience
Reporting to the Manager, HVAC/ECT, the Environmental Controls Supervisor will be responsible for assisting the HVAC Managers in leading the day to day operational functions of the department, schedule necessary HVAC & EC Systems repairs and assist in the development, implementation and administration of preventive and corrective maintenance programs associated with the Mechanical, HVAC and EC infrastructure systems of the Physical Plant.
- With direction from the Managers, the EC Supervisor will manage the planning of job schedules, oversight of activities performed by TWU staff and outside contractors, and assist with the resolution of complaints, schedule/coordinate Work Order requests with man-power resources and issues through effective and efficient utilization of personnel and materials.
- He/She responds to emergency situations (floods, fires, etc) by assisting with the coordination, troubleshooting and communication of emergency activities as required.
- In the absence of the Manager, will lead the day to day operations and manage TWU Staff & coordinate Client Service progress updates with support from the Assistant Directors.
- The EC Supervisor prepares purchase requisitions, technical/justification memos accordingly and follows up to ensure they are processed timely; prepares and closes out work order tickets in department's computerized maintenance management system (CMMS); assist Managers with maintaining TWU Staff timesheets in Kronos and oversees the processing of invoices and audit to ensure on time payment.
- The Supervisor will also participate in the preparation and tracking of departments operating budget, revising budget estimates, estimating cost to complete projects and schedules for the Work Orders to be implemented and assist in maintaining the inventory of all equipment/tools/supplies in order to reduce expenses annually; on a monthly basis assist Managers in streamlining the recovery process of open/closed work order tickets as necessary not limited to man-power and material charges.
- Assist Manager in preparing payroll for the department where necessary.
- Additional responsibilities include coordinating the scheduling, production, distribution and maintenance of all required meetings, reports, documents, correspondence and communications for the department; preparing incident reports; maintaining an orderly set of project files, policies and procedures and preparing power point presentations.
- Complete field observations of in-house construction projects to ensure compliance with Columbia University design standards and photograph in-house construction sites and file.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree and/ or its equivalent required.
- A minimum of 3- 5 years related experience required.
- Demonstrated supervisory experience required.
- Must have hands-on experience in performing repairs and maintenance of all types of HVAC Environmental Controls Systems not limited to AHU distribution systems, VAV Systems, FCU Systems, Pumps, Heat Exchanger Equipment and Fume Hood distribution Systems.
- Experience in managing Union Labor.
- Solid knowledge and trouble-shooting skills with 1) Building Automation Systems, 2) Implement Energy saving initiatives and Air/Water Balancing.
- Strong computer skills and knowledge and experience working with spreadsheets required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required.
- Must be able to work under minimal supervision and manage multiple tasks.
- Must be able to meet physical demands of position including frequent lifting, carrying, bending, pushing, pulling.
- Campus is spread-out over 7 MM square feet and involves considerable moving about.
- Previous experience in a Hospital or Facilities/Engineering maintenance background preferred.
- Knowledge of Chilled Water and Steam Systems a plus.
- Knowledge of existing City, State and Federal Codes a plus.
- A refrigeration or stationary engineer's license a plus. Knowledge of HVAC System Balancing a plus.
- Facilities/Engineering maintenance background preferred.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.