- Requisition no: 516753
- Work type: Full Time
- Location: Morningside
- School/Department: Columbia Residential
- Grade: Class A-Handyperson
- Categories: Facilities/Maint/Trades/RealEs
- Job Type: Support Staff - Union
- Bargaining Unit: Local 32 BJ
- Regular/Temporary: Regular
- End Date if Temporary:
- Hours Per Week: 40
- Salary Range: $29.0758 per hour
SCHEDULE: Sunday - Tuesday 7:00am-4:00pm; Wednesday - Thursday 2:00pm-11:00pm
Reporting to the Building Superintendent, and under general direction, the Handyperson A is responsible for minor building and grounds repairs and preventive maintenance of CU apartment buildings.
- Performs minor carpentry, plumbing and plastering work.
- Insure proper operation of absorption air conditioning system, steam boilers, fan coil units, cooling towers and package air conditioning units.
- Inspects building and its equipment and performs preventive maintenance to insure that all are in proper working condition.
- Performs tasks, such as snow removal and apartment preparation on an as needed basis.
- Supervises building employees and arranges work schedules as needed.
- Some heavy lifting may be required. In the absence of the building superintendent, supervises building employees and arranges work schedules.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- High School diploma and/or the equivalent required.
- Seven years related experience required.
- Minimum of three years supervisory experience.
- Computer proficiency is necessary.
- Well versed in the proper operation and maintenance of absorption air conditioning chiller units and their auxiliaries.
- Working knowledge of oil fired low pressure boilers and their auxiliaries and be able to ensure that they are in good working order at all times.
- The ability to communicate effectively and take direction.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.