Manager - Media & Social Media
- Requisition no: 515880
- Work type: Full Time
- Location: Morningside
- School/Department: Knight Institute
- Grade: Grade 12
- Categories: Commun/PR/Editorial, Legal
- Job Type: Officer of Administration
- Bargaining Unit:
- Regular/Temporary: Regular
- End Date if Temporary:
- Hours Per Week: 35.0
- Salary Range:
The Knight First Amendment Institute defends the freedoms of speech and the press in the digital age through strategic litigation, research, and public education. We promote a system of free expression that is open and inclusive, that broadens and elevates public discourse, and that fosters creativity, accountability, and effective self-government.
Since its establishment in 2016, the Institute has filed precedent-setting litigation, undertaken major interdisciplinary research initiatives, and become an influential voice in debates about the freedoms of speech and the press in the digital age. Its active litigation docket includes cutting-edge cases relating to transparency, surveillance, and social media. Through its research program, the Institute has published a series of influential essays focused on emerging threats to the system of free expression. It has also hosted public events on new technology and public discourse, data journalism and the law, the First Amendment and inequality, whistleblowers, leaks, and national-security journalism.
The Media and Social Media Manager will be a vital part of our dynamic and growing communications team. Reporting to the Communications Director, the manager will lead or assist with a broad range of activities in support of our communications and public education priorities. The Media and Social Media manager must be creative, resourceful, proactive, able to work both independently and collaboratively, and enthusiastic about the mission of the Institute.
- Manage press requests
- Pitch press stories, including breaking news, op-eds, and features, and build relationships with key reporters, editors, producers, and bookers
- Maintain press contacts and lists
- Maintain press clips and compile quantitative and qualitative information on press reach and impact
- Draft press releases, talking points, blogs, and other communications content
- Prepare staff for media appearances
2. Social Media
- Manage the Institute’s social media accounts
- Draft social media posts
- Maintain and develop the website, with an eye toward increasing traffic and engagement, including managing:
- Web development projects
- Site operation, including troubleshooting with web developers as needed
- Coordinate image research and production for website and social media
- Maintain DAM
- Assist with multimedia assets and productions, including videos, podcast, infographics
- Draft and execute multi-faceted press plans with legal, research, and communications teams
- Facilitate internal communications
- Liaise with partner organizations, co-counsel, and Columbia University on communications efforts
- Help manage outside vendors
- Work with Communications Director to grow communications program, with a particular emphasis on nimbleness, impact, and new technologies
- BA or BS degree or equivalent required.
- Minimum of three years of professional communication-related experience
- Excellent interpersonal skills, judgment and tact in dealing with confidential information
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency with Microsoft Office, Outlook, and Adobe Suite
- Flexibility and ability to manage multiple tasks efficiently while working proactively and cooperatively in a team-oriented, start-up environment
- Facility with Microsoft Word, Excel, Photoshop, InDesign, and Lightroom
- Experience with Word Press, Mailchimp, EventBrite, HTML a plus.
- Experience working in an advocacy organization, especially in a communications or social media capacity a plus
Required Application Materials
- Cover letter explaining your interest in the position, including a description of any relevant life or work experience
- Two writing samples from previous communications position
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Additional information may be requested during the application process.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.