Unix Systems Engineer
- Requisition no: 514548
- Work type: Full Time
- Location: Morningside
- School/Department: Libraries
- Grade: Grade 11
- Categories: Information Technology, Libraries
- Job Type: Officer of Administration
- Bargaining Unit:
- Regular/Temporary: Regular
- End Date if Temporary:
- Hours Per Week: 35 hours per week
- Salary Range: Commensurate with experience
Reporting into the Head, Library Infrastructure Systems, the Unix Systems Engineer designs, develops and deploys Unix server systems and performs maintenance and security as required. The Unix Systems Engineer will document and provide support for Library projects and services. The Engineer will collaborate on projects and related activities within Library and external units.
- Under general supervision, troubleshoot, monitor, secure, optimize, and maintain Library servers (primarily Linux).
- Develop, modify, implement, troubleshoot, and document software applications on Library servers.
- Communicate and coordinate with other systems admins and developers to identify and resolve systems level issues.
- Collaborate on projects and related activities with other Library groups and organizations, Columbia University IT, and outside institutions and perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree and/or equivalent related experience required. 2-4 years related experience required.
- In-depth knowledge of Unix/Linux environment.
- Knowledge of programming principles and at least one high-level programming language.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be able to balance priorities and meet deadlines.
- Experience with web server administration and systems monitoring.
- Experience with MySQL, Postgres, or other relevant database administration and optimization.
- Relevant technical experience with data management/indexing, configuration management/automation.
- Bash/Python experience.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.