User Service Consultant II
- Requisition no: 514370
- Work type: Full Time
- Location: Medical Center
- School/Department: CUIMC IT
- Grade: Grade 105
- Categories: Information Technology
- Job Type: Officer of Administration
- Bargaining Unit:
- Regular/Temporary: Regular
- End Date if Temporary:
- Hours Per Week: 35
- Salary Range:
Reporting to the Director, IT, the User Service Consultant II will provide Information Technology support services to the IT user community. These services include configuration, management, maintenance and troubleshooting of Apple and Windows personal computers, related peripherals and varied software packages, and provide escalation support. Function as a member of the Information Technology team.
The User Services Consultant II will work closely with each of the CUIMC IT Leadership directors and will report progress to them and to CIO.
The User Service Consultant II will be the primary technical support person to work with academic, clinical, research and administrative leadership at the school for a range of their IT support needs. Faculty, researchers and administrators in these leadership roles commonly have a complex range of support needs from desktop, application and data storage/security needs, remote access. In addition to complexity, their needs often have time sensitivity. This leadership group also has a high degree of confidential and sensitive data and information they are working with, in addition to standard HIPPA and FERPA concerns. The User Service Consultant II is expected to provide highly skilled, well communicated, customer-focused support while also managing the range of compliance and security requirements.
The User Service Consultant II will also serve as a member of the user service and support team that possesses expertise and knowledge base for complex, emerging, and certain non-standard computers, operating systems, software and peripherals. The User Services Consultant II will provide this expertise in support of the clients and will serve as a point of escalation for other members of the user support team. The User Services Consultant II will be responsible for continuously updating their expertise and knowledge for these systems and applications.
The User Service Consultant II will also be responsible for the standard set up support, data management and security administration for the clients they are supporting and as part of the IT organization.
- Promptly respond to request tickets in allotted time 10%
- Communicate the progress of investigations and planned solutions to users, managing their level of expectation and increasing their understanding of policies, procedures, and technology 5%
- Working closely with the User Services Consultant team to provide second line technical support and direct support for issues, ensuring assigned tickets are responded to, diagnosed and resolved swiftly and effectively in line with Columbia University policies and procedures. Ensure outstanding tickets are regularly updated to reflect current status 10%
- Manage the information security on client side, including creating client system security policies, implementing the policies, educating the users, and monitoring system security from client side 5%
- Configuration, management, maintenance and troubleshooting of Apple and Windows personal computers, related peripherals and varied software packages 10%
- Deploy/move Apple and Windows hardware and peripherals to users across the campus 5%
- Liaise with colleagues, utilizing their expertise to solve more complex problems. Continuously look for improvement within Support 5%
- Manage client side system implementation projects. Provide end user and escalation support including for clinical systems 5%
- Support mobile devices including iPhone, iPad, iPod and Android 5%
- Participate in Service Desk weekly rotation 10%
- User data migration, inventory, and recovery 5%
- Document actions, alterations and procedures to ensure an accurate and accessible record of the current state of the system 5%
- Manage own time to fulfill tasks efficiently, in the correct priority and to the required level of quality, within the context of the objectives supplied by supervisor 5%
- Develop complete hardware and software solutions from general user requirements. Evaluate related hardware and software products and make recommendations for adoption 5%
- Participate in IT security planning and remediation efforts including disaster recovery and contingency planning 5%
- Other duties as assigned 5%
- Requires a bachelor's degree or equivalent in education and experience, plus four years of related experience in engineering, computer science, management information systems
- Candidate must possess excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to work in a team environment
- Candidate must have strong, demonstrated customer service and support skills, and experience supporting senior staff and executives
- Additional Position Specific Preferred Qualifications:
- 4 years of hands-on experience with Windows Server Active Directory user administration
- 4 years of experience in packaging and deploying OS and applications at the enterprise level, including JAMF, Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager, Quest Kace Systems Management Appliance and Systems Deployment Appliance
- Experience with all current Apple and Windows operating systems and current Microsoft Office Suite versions including Office 365, Office 2019, Windows 10, MacOS and Mac Office
- Strong office application skills including spreadsheet, database, PDF
- Firm grasp of Apple and Windows hardware
- Knowledge of scripting technologies (Powershell/Bash/Python)
- Excellent problem solving skills
- Ability to work independently
- Experience with networking TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP, routing and firewalls
- Knowledge of maintaining and working with incident management systems as well as experience in knowledge generation and maintenance
- Familiar with medical information technologies and HIPAA standards
- Experience with Managed Antivirus and Endpoint Detection, including Symantec SEPM, and Crowdstrike EDR
- Epic certification and/or experience
- Desktop virtualization experience, VDI, Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops
- Must be able to work evenings, weekends and holidays. The position is required to work in a variety of shifts in a 24 hour/seven day schedule, covering as needed for vacation and sick leave and other absences, emergencies, and gaps in coverage.
Schedule varies as operational demands require.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.