Associate Director of Communications and Media Relations
- Requisition no: 513823
- Work type: Full Time
- Location: Morningside
- School/Department: School of International and Public Affairs
- Grade: Grade 13
- Categories: Commun/PR/Editorial, Pubs/Printing/Graphic Design
Reporting to the Director, Communications and Digital Media, the Associate Director of Communications and Digital Media is responsible for the development, implementation and ongoing management of strategic communications and digital media strategies for the Center on Global Energy Policy (CGEP) at Columbia University SIPA. The Associate Director will manage a dynamic team supporting strategic communications for the Center, maintaining and raising the Center's profile as a global leader in energy policy by identifying opportunities to join the public dialogue, provide expertise and policy analysis, and foster stronger, evidence-based conversations around energy and climate issues through digital media.
The Associate Director will serve a critical role in translating scholarship, insights and data sets into digital formats that help decision-makers and the public understand our complex energy system and the role of energy systems in creating a more sustainable and just energy future. The Associate Director will also serve a leadership role guiding CGEP’s investments in its digital transformation strategy, including significant enhancements to our capacity to produce digital content, a new content management system and website, and new execution capacity supported by digital media, data visualization, and policy modeling teams. These investments will create an opportunity for CGEP to evolve the way we share ideas and information and engage decision-makers and put these policies into action.
A particular focus for the organization is deepening understanding of the impacts of racism, environmental justice, gender equality, and inclusion on our energy system. The Associate Director will support and contribute to culturally diverse and inclusive communications, reflected across CGEP’s scholarship, work environment, and partnerships.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Lead a portfolio of research initiatives, projects and issues, develop, implement, and manage the communication strategies and campaigns.
- Develop integrated strategic communications plans to support CGEP's communications and engagement objectives, including communication and content creation, message development, digital and social media, congressional and external affairs, media relations, and event support.
- Lead design and produce public facing materials, including website pages and features, print materials, newsletters, social media content, op-eds, podcasts and other communications and marketing collateral.
- Incorporate strategic communications as a core function across all aspects of Center operations, ensuring consistency across all CGEP materials and communications.
- Explore and develop new ways to strengthen CGEP's brand identity and engagement with key stakeholder audiences.
- Demonstrate political savvy and judgment, and a sense of which opportunities are appropriate for CGEP’s brand.
- Build relationships and work collaboratively with communications peers at SIPA and other University units including the Earth Institute, Law School, Business School, Engineering School and President's office and cross-functionally within CGEP.
- Perform other duties as assigned and assist in special projects.
- Develop and execute CGEP’s digital transformation strategy, including the development of new digital content and the development and launch of a new content management system and website.
- Develop CGEP’s brand and voice online and on social media, setting the tone and serving as key owner of the organization's website, social media presence and style guide.
- Develop interactive multimedia platforms, data visualizations, graphics, videos and podcasts that effectively communicate energy and climate policy scholarship and recommendations to a global audience.
- Write, design and post marketing materials to proactively promote CGEP’s research online and on social media platforms, including the CGEP Spotlight newsletter, website, social media channels and content, and other communications channels.
- Creates and implements digital campaigns and strategies, including email and social media marketing. Maintains, schedules and shares editorial content to thoughtfully communicate our research and insights and engage our diverse and well informed audience
- Primary responsibility for CGEP’s digital architecture and platforms, including , website and content management system, analytics and audience engagement services, Salesforce and email databases, podcast channels, video channels and social media.
- Analyzes needs, provides insight and guidance, implements improvements based on data derived from digital platforms
- Manages team of digital and social media strategists, interactive designers and web developers.
- Support, expand and measure the impact of new channels and audiences for engagement online, including collaborative communication opportunities.
- Advanced Degree in Public Relations, Marketing, Information Management or related field that blends communications or art with technical skills and 4-6 years of experience managing digital teams with direct reports that include a diverse skillset including SEO, paid media management, analytics and creative.
- Experience leading and building diverse teams, including recruitment, mentoring, coaching, and supervising the day-to-day operations of a communications team.
- Demonstrated success leading and developing digital and social media strategies designed to increase understanding and engagement in complex policy, science, technology energy and climate change issues.
- Demonstrated success leading digital elements of campaigns and initiatives, including website content, social media, and email management.
- Experience leading and knowledge of digital and social media technologies, including desktop publishing, graphic design and presentation software.
- Experience as web developer, UX designer, content strategist or a combination of those roles.
- Strong project management skills, including setting strategic goals, assessing available analytics to determine success and ROI of specific campaigns, allocating budgets for multiple channel spends. Able to work effectively under tight deadlines, prioritize, multi-task, be self-reliant but also know when to ask questions.
- Able to work independently, with initiative, creativity, and attention to detail and confidentiality. Open to change and new information; able to rapidly adapt to new information, changing conditions, or unexpected obstacles.
- Politically savvy, and able to partner, build consensus and collaborate across boundaries to achieve common goals.
- Experience advising and interacting effectively with senior leaders and diverse international stakeholders.
- Ability to lead and build an inclusive workplace where diversity and individual differences are valued and leveraged to achieve the vision and mission of the organization.
- Able and willing to work across global time zones, early morning or evening hours and some weekends.
Established relationships with top-tier national and international media covering the energy, environment and climate, economy and national security beats.