Program & Training Coordinator
- Requisition no: 506408
- Work type: Full Time
- Location: Medical Center
- School/Department: Sponsored Projects Admin
- Grade: Grade 104
- Categories: Research (Lab and Non-Lab)
- Job Type: Officer of Administration
- Regular/Temporary: Regular
- Hours Per Week: 35
Reporting to the Director of Policy & Research Development (“Director”), and under the direction of the Vice President of Research Administration, the Program and Training Coordinator will provide outreach and training for faculty on identifying funding opportunities that will include the use of funding opportunity databases, and strategies for approaching sponsors. In addition, the candidate will assist the Director on a variety of special projects and outreach opportunities. This will include, but is not limited to assisting the Director in coordinating the Research Administration Forums, the sessions provided by SPA in the Sponsored Projects Certificate Program, and training support to senior faculty preparing institutional training grants. The incumbent will assist the Director with the rollout of major sponsored projects initiatives through various communication channels, and will create and/or maintain content on the SPA website.
The incumbent must be articulate, well organized, possess the ability to exercise good judgment, have the ability to multi-task, and work independently. The position requires excellent writing, proofreading, and verbal communication skills.
- Conducts training (in-person and online) for identifying funding opportunities using various funding opportunity databases and platforms.
- Develops and maintains materials and job aids related to identifying funding opportunities.
- Creates and maintains listservs, SPA website, and other communication channels for disseminating funding opportunities, and as well other topics related to proposal development and sponsored projects policies.
- Collaborates with the SPA Business Systems Team (SPA-eBiz), and serves as a liaison with our funding opportunity database vendors to report issues, or make special reporting requests to better serve faculty.
- Advises faculty and administrators on best practices for conducting funding searches and approaching sponsors with ideas, given current funding environment.
- Creates checklists and/or other tools to assist faculty and administrators with preparing proposals.
- Collaborates with other offices, such as the P&S Office of Research, and the Office of Research Initiatives on promoting proposal development tools and all services offered by the offices.
- Coordinates the quarterly Research Administration Forums with the Director.
- Performs related duties & responsibilities as assigned/requested.
Additional Position-Specific Minimum Requirements
- Must have experience in an academic or research setting.
- Must have experience with either identifying funding opportunities, assisting faculty prepare grant applications, or hands-on experience managing sponsored projects throughout the sponsored projects lifecycle.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills and exceptional interpersonal skills. Must be comfortable presenting in front of large audiences.
- Demonstrate general knowledge of business practices, and University and sponsored project policies and procedures.
- Sophisticated customer service abilities.
- Must be very comfortable learning new technology and various online tools, such as ZOOM, Panopto, Microsoft Teams, Pivot, SPIN, and other systems as assigned by the Director. The incumbent must be able to train others on such systems.
- Must be proficient in creating professional looking PowerPoint presentations.
Experience with managing funding opportunity databases.
Experience in website content management (Drupal) is desirable.
Experience creating fillable forms using Adobe is a plus.
Having an eye for design and the ability to create sleek-looking materials is a plus.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.