- Requisition no: 504792
- Work type: Full Time
- Location: Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory
- School/Department: Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory
- Grade: Grade 14
- Categories: Information Technology, Research (Lab and Non-Lab)
The Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory is seeking a Development Operations Engineer who will support the mission of the Climate Data Science Lab by leading the development and operation of cloud-based infrastructure for scientific research. Defines overall strategy and technical approach to cloud computing usage in the lab. Contributes to the development and maintenance of open source software packages as needed for the advancement of scientific objectives. Develops web applications for extracting, transforming, loading, managing, and cataloging scientific data in the cloud. Collaborates with scientists to support research projects. Conducts some education and training around scientific computing.
- Develops strategy and technical design for cloud computing architecture and Develops strategies for optimizing cost of cloud computing.
- Ensures the reliable operation of production cloud-based tools including JupyterHub / JupyterLab and Dask using continuous integration/deployment.
- Oversees cloud-optimized data storage and catalogs throughout the data lifecycle.
- Works with other software engineers and scientists to diagnose and optimize performance of scientific applications.
- Conducts education and outreach around cloud computing.
- Explores emerging technologies in the cloud / DevOps space.
- Travels to conferences and workshops.
- Will work with minimal supervision from the Associate Professor. Will work independently and makes their own decisions about where to best allocate effort.
- B.S. Degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, Physical Science, or Engineering and 5+ years of experience in software engineering and 2 years of specific experience in DevOps required.
- Ideal candidate will also have some prior experience with scientific computing, Jupyter/JupyterHub, Dask, etc.
Track record of sustained contributions to open source project(s) required.
- Active GitHub profile and presence required.
Knowledge of best practices around cloud computing, DevOps, and continuous integration required.
Prospective candidates must apply online.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.