Director, Application Architecture & Software Services
- Requisition no: 504034
- Work type: Full Time
- Location: Manhattanville
- School/Department: Columbia University Information Technology
- Grade: Grade 15
- Categories: Information Technology
Reporting to the AVP, Enterprise Applications Platform; the Director of Application Architecture & Software Services is responsible for leading the development, implementation and operationalization of application architecture standards and software services frameworks.
Columbia University’s application platform is undergoing a huge transformation from legacy monolithic applications to a modern open source microservice based application platform supported on cloud ready solutions. As a Solutions Architect you are responsible for understanding our next generation application specification, a cloud enabled solution which leverages modern technologies and PaaS solutions. The individual in this position is responsible for leading this transformation for the organization.
- Designs solutions for legacy applications to migrate to our cloud enabled architecture.
- Responsible for building high performance, high availability architectures. You’ll learn how legacy systems function and create plans which enable engineering teams to “change the wheels while the car is in motion”.
- Leads an Application Architecture team: A group of thought leaders responsible for technology strategy (Mobile, Web, Data, Cloud, etc.). Other duties include: Developing macro architectures (conceptual view) diagrams, Software Architecture Documents, participating in architecture forums, developing technical standards and strategies as well as presenting to technology leaders and business executives, providing thought leadership and a hands on approach around technical solutions, and collaborating with other technologists on creating cross-domain solutions.
- Applies knowledge and experience to develop and enforce robust software product development standards, based on Python / Django – microservice based architecture framework while driving new and innovative approaches based on off the shelf and / or open source technologies.
- Partners with our delivery teams to drive modern, cost effective implementations to meet critical business needs that follow industry best practices. This person will interact with and must be able to influence other technical leads, managers, directors and partners throughout the organization.
- Technical authority and a leader in designing & coding robust scalable, loosely coupled components and microservices that underpin cloud-based services.
- Applies architecture and design principles consistently and holistically to enable target end-to-end usage scenarios.
- Enforces processes around development methodologies including continuous integration, static code analysis, test coverage, etc.
- Partners with architecture group on to deliver solution blueprints and other UML based design documentation.
- Keeps up to date on industry technology trends and modern software delivery techniques.
- Ensures that the scrum/agile team deliverables adhere to defined solution architecture and application design.
- Has ownership of robust application framework with clear expectation of security, performance, flexibility and simplicity
- All other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent required. Master’s degree desirable.
- Minimum 7-9 years’ related experience.
- More than 7 years of hands on technical leadership experience in the area of software development and product development
- Ability to transform legacy monolithic applications into structured – microservice based cloud platforms
- Strong programming and data modeling experience in the past – more than 10 years.
- Ability to promote innovative ideas, document them and develop standards that can be put in practice
- Exceptional leader of large projects that have a strong backbone and a respectful and courteous style that is consistent and lives the values of the best practice brand.
- Entrepreneurial spirit, is forward-thinking, progressive, understands technology and has a past track record of significant accomplishments.
- Experience with highly transactional systems
- Experience with modernization of legacy stack
- Experience in cross capability solutions with integration across multiple systems
- Experience with cloud implementation of microservices.
- Experience with microservices architecture & large scale API design and development.
- Experience defining, creating and integrating high scale, large volume RESTful web services
- 5 years Python / Django experience with hands on Application Delivery
- Experience developing solutions using testing and Continuous Integration and Deployment automation tools
- Experience partnering with infrastructure and networking teams to define requirements for Application Development
- Ability to interact at all the levels - presenting ideas, promoting best practices and coaching staff as needed.
- AWS and Azure experience is a great asset
- Experience with an IT function for a Higher education business functions
- Experience with MySQL and overall Database and SQL knowledge
- Experience with Pub/Sub and open source workflow engines
- Experience with Application debugging and code optimization
- Experience with Micro services and DevOps
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.