- Requisition no: 503161
- Work type: Full Time
- Location: Medical Center
- School/Department: Psychiatry
- Grade: Technical Grade 4
- Categories: Research (Lab and Non-Lab)
- Job Type: Support Staff - Union
- Bargaining Unit: SSA
- Regular/Temporary: Regular
- End Date if Temporary:
- Hours Per Week: 35
- Salary Range: $24.66 per hour
Under the supervision of two Principal Investigators, the Technician B will perform a variety of research duties of a routine and technical nature in support of NIH clinical trials in one or more research areas: 1) the effect of a dietary intervention on cognitive performance; 2) the cardiovascular effects of aerobic exercise training in sedentary individuals; and 3) the effect of stress on psychophysiology in mitochondrial disease.
Job responsibilities include interacting with research participants, explaining research protocols, instrumenting subjects for cardiovascular and respiratory monitoring and running experiments to collect data on these physiological measures as well as performing phlebotomy tasks. Training will be provided for these specialized tasks but prior psychophysiology laboratory experience a plus. Also responsible for maintaining laboratory supplies and equipment, initial management of the data collected in PC databases, and other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in chemistry, biology or physics or related science or equivalent in education, training and experience
- Bachelor's degree with emphasis on behavioral sciences along with behavioral laboratory and/or human subject research experience of at least one year.
- Fluent in Spanish desirable
- A two-year commitment to the position
- Experience with data coding and database management
- Contact with patients and/or research subjects.
- Must successfully complete systems training requirements
- Strong organizational skills, ability to work both independently and as part of a team, and interest in learning new skills and technologies and willingness to be trained in phlebotomy.
- Must communicate effectively with faculty and other team members and actively troubleshoot issues as they arise.
- Proficiency in MS Excel and Word
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.