Associate Dean of Student Affairs
- Requisition no: 502937
- Work type: Full Time
- Location: Medical Center
- School/Department: Mailman School of Public Health Administration
- Grade: Grade 107
- Categories: Stdnt Affairs/Educational Admn
Reporting to the Vice Dean of Education, the Associate Dean of Student Affairs is a strategic partner for the Division of Student Affairs with a focus on enhancing the student experience and increasing student success. The Associate Dean will provide vision, leadership, and strategic direction to ensure the delivery of effective and quality service to a diverse student body. This position serves as the Chief Student Affairs Officer and provides advice and counsel to the Vice Dean regarding the overall student experience and serves as an advocate for the student body. The Associate Dean will provide an executive presence in the leadership of the division across functions in the absence of, and as assigned by, the Vice Dean.
- Thought leadership in developing a vision for supporting the 21st century professional degree seeking student.
- Oversight of the student support and student life units. These units focus on student well-being and the student co-curricular experience. Supervision of 3 professionals managing these units.
- Evaluate and measure the success of all services within the student affairs unit. Engage in ongoing bench-marking of best practices to ensure strong evidence-based services and programs.
- Establish relationships and collaborate with other departments within the Office of Education, relevant university services and external constituents.
- Ability to assess and navigate challenging student situations; respond to crisis calls; provide leadership in ensuring faculty and staff are trained to be effective partners in managing students in difficulty.
- Apply and Enforce the Student Code of Conduct.
- Provide oversight for student groups, programming and co-curricular initiatives.
- Supervision of the finance and human resources division for the Office of Education which entails budget oversight, personnel review, staff and student procurement processes.
- Participate in various student focused committees at both the School, University and National Associations.
- Liaise with academic departments as well as University service areas.
- Represent the Vice Dean as assigned or appointed to address issues related to student concerns.
- Master’s degree in higher education, social work, psychology, public health or a related field
- Seven – ten years of progressive experience at an institution of higher education, specifically working with students in a student affairs setting
- Seven to 10 years of demonstrated leadership in the supervision of a team of professionals
- Effective execution and assessment of student programming and services
- Demonstrated mastery of the skills listed prior, particularly student conduct and student crisis management
Doctoral degree in higher education, health education, counseling, social work or related discipline
10+ years of progressive experience in providing direct student services
Experience working with advanced standing students, particularly in a school of public health
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.