Sr. Cloud Engineer
- Requisition no: 501880
- Work type: Full Time
- Location: Manhattanville
- School/Department: Columbia University Information Technology
- Grade: Grade 13
- Categories: Information Technology
Reporting to the Director, Infrastructure Engineering, the Sr. Cloud Engineer will be responsible for the development and deployment of the University’s infrastructure services, with a focus on AWS/Azure, cloud services, containerization, and IaaS/PaaS.
- Designs new infrastructure solutions, with a strong emphasis on promoting cloud services (AWS and Azure), virtualization, automation and standardization.
- Designs and supports Docker/Kubernetes infrastructure.
- Develop management tools, automation and integration between infrastructure systems.
- Works with the Director on the development of major infrastructure projects: gathering requirements, writing proposals, designing systems architecture, documenting operational processes and leading deployment efforts.
- Stays abreast of industry trends, and drives adoption of new technologies and solutions.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the full application stack. Makes recommendations to improve performance and minimize downtime across all parts of the environment.
- Responds to questions from other IT departments and coordinates resolution of critical issues.
- Builds relationships with other IT departments and business units.
- Acts as liaison/business relationship manager to broker infrastructure services with internal and external customers.
- Occasional after-hours and weekend work, and participation in a 24x7x365 "on call" rotation.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or its equivalent required.
- Minimum 4-6 years’ relevant experience.
- Experience building and managing cloud infrastructure in an enterprise environment.
- Experience developing in Perl and/or Python.
- Knowledge of SQL and relational databases.
- Experience working with Redhat Linux and/or Amazon Linux
- Experience using a configuration management system, e.g. Puppet, Chef or Ansible
- Understanding of systems and cloud security principles and practices.
- Experience gathering requirements and developing proposals.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment.
- Demonstrated excellence in a variety of competencies including teamwork/collaboration, analytical thinking, communication and influencing skills, and technical expertise.
- Ability to work with changing priorities and with multiple projects.
- Ability to be precise and attentive to detail is essential.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work weekend and off-hour work on occasion.
- AWS certification a plus
- Service design or project management experience
- ITIL Foundations and/or Service Design a plus
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.