Service Specialist (Academic IT Systems)
- Requisition no: 501877
- Work type: Full Time
- Location: Manhattanville
- School/Department: Columbia University Information Technology
- Grade: Grade 12
- Categories: Information Technology
Reporting to the Sr. Manager, Service Administration & Support for Academic Services, the Service Specialist will be responsible for tracking project deliverables, timelines, user support, and training associated with Columbia University’s various Academic IT systems.
- Obtains in-depth knowledge of the various Academic IT systems (Bedework, Courseworks, etc.).
- Provides technical support to end users and troubleshoots system anomalies.
- Oversees tickets in Jira project tracking tool.
- Implements and conducts project management techniques utilizing agile best practices.
- Conducts workshops, prepares how-to documents and troubleshooting guides for end users.
- Manages and tracks tickets via Service Now system and generates monthly reports.
- Develops training scripts and conducts end user training.
- Works with application development team to conduct end user testing for new enhancements and functionality.
- Participates in team “on-call” rotations, occasionally requiring after-hours and weekend work.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and/or its equivalent required.
- Minimum 3-5 years’ related experience.
- Excellent Customer Support skills.
- Experience tracking project deliverables and timelines in an IT environment.
- Possess strong analytical problem resolution skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment.
- Demonstrated excellence in a variety of competencies including teamwork/collaboration, analytical thinking, communication and influencing skills, and technical expertise.
- Ability to work with changing priorities and with multiple projects.
- Ability to be precise and attentive to detail is essential.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work weekend and off-hour work on occasion.
- Knowledge of Jira.
- Experience with event calendaring systems (Bedework preferred).
- Experience in using Service Now platform or any other ticket management system.
- Knowledge of HTML, CSS, XML, and XSLT a plus.
- Experience in IT service delivery in a complex higher education environment.
- Experience with end user web based application testing.
- Interest in the web and application development process and desire to learn.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.