Associate Director, Student Information Systems - Service Administration & Support
- Requisition no: 501630
- Work type: Full Time
- Location: Manhattanville
- School/Department: Columbia University Information Technology
- Grade: Grade 15
- Categories: Information Technology
Reporting to the AVP, Enterprise Applications Platform; the Associate Director, Student Information Systems (SIS) - Service Administration & Support is responsible for leading, managing and coordinating the post production - development, deployment, and ongoing operations of the newly developed SIS applications platform. These systems consist of all new University developed SIS application services. This role has direct authority and control over all integrations and conversions related to the new SIS platform. Specifically, the role has direct responsibility over resource allocation as needed. The Associate Director will be the Service Owner for the new SIS applications once it’s live and the super care period has elapsed. Once SIS apps are productionized, the incumbent will take ownership of day-to-day operations, its active code base, release management, operational support and its integration with upstream and downstream applications. The incumbent will set standards within the team, improving efficiency and communications specific to SIS operationalization and support. This position will monitor and review all project/program tasks and deliverables to ensure quality within budget. This is a highly visible and strategic role that requires a proven ability to cultivate and maintain relationships, maintain high support standards and have excellent process and technology knowledge.
The incumbent will be participating proactively in new SIS implementation, Agile development, resource planning and release planning. The incumbent is also responsible for establishing relationships with registrar’s office and schools to manage deliverables and operational support.
This role represents a tremendous opportunity to have both strategic and tactical impact on some of the SIS's most important assets.
- Partners with the AVP on setting the strategic direction of the SIS applications enhancements and support.
- Participates with senior stakeholders in understanding their needs and keeps abreast of changes within the SIS to make appropriate recommendations.
- Oversees and participates in complex software development and application administration services and performs related duties as assigned or requested.
- Translates and incorporates business vision and strategy to architectural strategy recommendations at the technical level.
- Analyzes changes to complex, interrelated systems that cross multiple platforms to fulfill complicated requirements, improve performance or reduce costs of ownership.
- Tailors software engineering approaches to manage collaborative software development and project execution in a group environment.
- Develops and documents procedures for installation, use, maintenance, troubleshooting, and management of team services and systems.
- Embrace new tools to improve automation, performance and efficiency within the SIS team.
- Demonstrates application knowledge and understands applications outside of specific responsibility to identify interdependencies and minimize the impact of system changes.
- Leads the development of service goals related to: redundancy, security, capacity management, DR planning and cost containment.
- Builds relationships with IT departments and business units to facilitate inter-department communication and productivity in support of business objectives.
- Focus on data analysis to assist in data driven recommendations and solutions.
- Acts as a catalyst for change to improve processes that benefit the IT organization and the University.
- Participates in the team "on-call" rotations, occasionally requiring after-hours and weekend work.
- Participate in major incident response efforts, occasionally requiring after-hours and weekend work.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent required. Advanced degree desirable.
- Minimum 7-9 years’ related experience.
- Experience in managing staff, setting goals and coaching individuals.
- Proven experience in project management methodologies and activities including estimating costs, project scheduling, and resource allocation.
- Experience with databases and developing web applications.
- Knowledge of relational databases: mysql, postgresql, Oracle or SQLServer.
- Experience with full systems development lifecycle.
- Experience with developing and supporting large complex systems.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment.
- Demonstrated excellence in a variety of competencies including teamwork/collaboration, analytical thinking, communication and influencing skills, and technical expertise.
- Ability to work with changing priorities and with multiple projects.
- Ability to be precise and attentive to detail is essential.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work weekend and off-hour work on occasion.
- Prior experience working with student/faculty related technologies.
- Prior experience working within a DevOps environment.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.