Temporary Web Producer
- Requisition no: 501595
- Work type: Full Time
- Location: Morningside
- School/Department: Columbia College
- Grade: Grade 10
- Categories: Commun/PR/Editorial
Reporting to the Editorial Director, and working closely with the communications and marketing team, the temporary Web Producer will support rewriting copy and reorganizing content for a large-scale redesign of the Columbia College web properties. The Web Producer ensures that stories, announcements, academic information, events, images, videos and other types of content are clearly and consistently presented on new website. This is a full-time, temporary position working 35 hours per week for the period of approximately 12 months.
- Under the supervision of the Editorial Director and in partnership with the Web Content Manager, produces new copy and content for college.columbia.edu, college.columbia.edu/core and cc-seas.columbia.edu, including writing, editing, proofreading and fact checking as required.
- Supports the migration of existing materials into new architecture with an eye towards reducing duplicate information as well as establishing a consistent voice and tone.
- Assists in monitoring content for ease-of-navigation, accuracy and evolving best practices for digital communications. Collaborates with units across the College to assure that changes on website(s) reflect the College’s identity and align with project’s goals to simplify user experience.
- Serves as communications liaison with Columbia College Information Technology to ensure project stays on track in regards to content production. Attends meetings, opens tickets and troubleshoots issues to communicate with partners and relay any concerns.
- Assists the Communications team to develop training materials which guide site administrators on governance and workflow for new website.
- Works with the team to review analytics and user feedback, devise appropriate responses to further inform editorial content decisions, refine design and site navigation where needed and optimize all web platforms.
- Perform other related duties as necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree or its equivalent required, plus a minimum of 0-2 years of related experience.
- Must have experience in communications, marketing, journalism or working as a content manager or web specialist. Basic technical knowledge of HTML, web publishing and accessibility standards required.
- Must be detail oriented, calm under pressure, and have the ability to think creatively while working both independently and as part of a team.
**Applications submitted without a resume or cover letter will not be reviewed.**
- Peerless content development skills with experience writing and editing for the web.
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines and juggle multiple responsibilities, working collaboratively with people at all levels.
- Strong editorial and journalistic sensibility with intuitive understanding of a range of multimedia content, excellent design, and adherence to digital style guidelines. Able to learn and adapt to new technologies and trends.
- Working knowledge of front-end web development, including Drupal or other content management systems such as Drupal is strongly preferred.
- Experience with Google Analytics and professional familiarity with higher education constituencies, structure, and administration desirable. Also valuable: Full Adobe suite, audio and/or video editing, familiarity with AP style.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.