Associate Director, Faculty Programs and Services
- Requisition no: 500556
- Work type: Full Time
- Location: Morningside
- School/Department: Center for Teaching and Learning
- Grade: Grade 14
- Categories: Libraries, Other
- Job Type: Officer of Administration
- Bargaining Unit:
- Regular/Temporary: Regular
- End Date if Temporary:
- Hours Per Week:
- Salary Range:
Reporting to the Director, Faculty Programs and Services, the Associate Director will Lead educational development services and improve the teaching effectiveness of faculty, postdoctoral, adjunct, and other instructors at Columbia, through the design and implementation of pedagogical programs, consultations, and resources.
The Center for Teaching and Learning provides professional development and support services for Columbia faculty and teaching assistants, and partners with faculty, departments, and schools to improve and advance teaching performance, implement best practices, and promote innovations in pedagogy, curriculum design and the use of instructional technology.
- Design and implement programs and services related to digital projects and digital platforms to support pedagogy and effective teaching and learning practices for faculty, postdoctoral, adjunct, and other instructors at Columbia. Establish working relationships with these populations through the development institutes, workshops, and other programming informed by the scholarship of educational development. Initiate learning communities and other cohort-building experiences centered in the CTL.
- Design and disseminate instructional resources. Identify and promote pedagogical methods appropriate to specific disciplinary settings and a diverse student body. Author curricula tailored to targeted faculty populations for learning communities, seminars and institutes in teaching and learning with technology, as well as online materials such as teaching guides, blogs and other social media posts. Design and grow new consultation and other teaching support services for faculty; support teaching portfolios and programming customized to subject area domains of faculty teaching at Columbia.
- Manage, recruit, supervise, and mentor staff. Co-facilitate programs and co-design new initiatives, assigning work as suitable for each learning designer. Support their growth in new areas of expertise.
- Keep abreast of research, trends, and innovations in teaching and learning as applied to classroom and online learning environments, through appropriate publication channels and collaborations beyond the university. Consult and collaborate with learning designers, assistant directors, other associate directors and CTL communications staff on projects and initiatives that integrate best pedagogical practices.
- Contribute to strategic planning for the Center for Teaching and Learning, identify and form partnerships on campus to address new needs and opportunities for teaching support, integrate best practices and resources available beyond Columbia into the work of the CTL, and represent the CTL's work at briefings, campus visits, conferences, and other academic venues.
- Work closely with the Associate Director for Assessment and Evaluation and recommend development of CTL programs and services that is based on ongoing assessment of faculty and student learning, and other evidence of impact.
- Bachelor’s degree required and 5-7 years of related experiences required.
- University teaching experience and well-developed teaching, research, and assessment skills
- Current knowledge of best practices and emerging trends in teaching and learning
- Experience in applying research to curricular innovations and faculty development
- Strong communication skills and service-oriented approach to individuals at all levels and across disciplines
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively with administrators, academic units, faculty, graduate students, and staff
- Doctorate in an academic discipline
- Supervisory experience
- Experience as a faculty member in an academic program
- Experience implementing programs and services in a Teaching and Learning Center
- Contribution to scholarship in discipline or in teaching and learning
- Working knowledge of program assessment and evaluation
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.