- Requisition no: 500160
- Work type: Full Time
- Location: Medical Center
- School/Department: Emergency Medicine
- Grade: Grade 105
- Categories: Health/Clinical
Under the direction of the Chief Physician Assistant, the Physician Assistant will provide services to the Emergency Medicine Department at Columbia University Irving Medical Center and/or Allen Hospital. Individual will perform a variety of functions and technical procedures necessary for admission, assessment, diagnosis, treatment, follow-up and outcome evaluation of patients. Will participate in performance improvement, research and educational activities.
- Obtains patients' history, performs physical examinations, orders and evaluates appropriate laboratory, radiographic and electrocardiographic studies.
- Reviews laboratory results and other clinical information pertinent to patient health, orders appropriate tests and other ancillary services as needed, and develops care plans for patients.
- Assists in the management of medical and surgical emergencies.
- Assists the attending physician on any procedure falling within the Physician Assistant's scope of practice.
- Initiates subspecialty consultations or evaluations.
- Counsels and instructs patients and their families.
- Renders appropriate care in the presence of a life-threatening emergency when a physician is unavailable and documents all care rendered in accordance with ER policies and procedures.
- Ensures all medical records and notes are countersigned by attending physician.
- Upon discharge, notes discharge summaries, prescriptions and any referrals on patient charts. Informs patients of the necessary post-discharge care instructions.
- Functions within the standards of practice established by American Nurses Association Standards of Clinical Practice. Acts within the policies and procedures of the University, hospital, division, and clinical department.
- Conforms to all applicable HIPAA, billing compliance and safety guidelines.
- Performs related duties and responsibilities as assigned/requested.
- Requires bachelors or masters degree from an accredited Physician Assistant program plus four years' related experience
- Two years experience in Emergency Medicine
- NY state physician assistant license
- NCCPA board certification
- NY DEA registration
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.