Director of IT Services
- Requisition no: 499257
- Work type: Full Time
- Location: Medical Center
- School/Department: Systems Biology
- Grade: Grade 106
- Categories: General Administration, Information Technology
- Job Type: Officer of Administration
- Regular/Temporary: Regular
- Hours Per Week: 35
- Salary Range: commensurate with experience
The ideal candidate will be effective in managing a team of IT analysts and support personnel to monitor, troubleshoot, and strategically upgrade a large high-performance super-computing center, with approximately 8,000 CPU cores and 5PB of memory. He or she will be responsible for maintaining high-quality desktop supportive services for a community of approximately 100 scientific researchers. The incumbent will also be responsible for managing all financial and billing-related aspects necessary to maintain the facility's cost-recovery model and to ensure a balanced budget.
- Provide vision and leadership for a research computing group consisting of six employees.
- Drive client-base growth through both securing new clients and fostering existing clients.
- Manage budget, service center pricing, and service contracts in coordination with the departmental administrator.
- Drive on-going improvements to service offerings.
- Provide expert knowledge in data center operations and design; including distributing computing, enterprise storage, identity management, databases, networking, cloud services and data center power/cooling/environment.
- Provide expert knowledge in statistical and distributed computing applications for research.
- Provide usage and financial projections. Manage record-keeping for all technical services.
- Deliver timely billing and collections for the service center in cooperation with the administrative staff.
- Interface with vendors to make purchases and to examine strategic system design offerings.
- Responsible for all IT infrastructure design and configuration.
- Participate in grant writing and planning projects.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by the Department Chair.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in education and experience, plus five (5) years of related experience. Demonstrated knowledge of system design and implementation related to Active Directory, distributed computing, enterprise storage, system virtualization and networking. Experience in high-performance computing and big data environments. Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
Master’s degree preferred.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.