Sr Coordinator, Student Accommodations
- Requisition no: 524487
- Work type: Full Time
- Location: Medical Center
- School/Department: Division of Student Affairs
- Grade: Grade 104
- Categories: Stdnt Affairs/Educational Admn, Administrative Support
- Job Type: Officer of Administration
- Bargaining Unit:
- Regular/Temporary: Regular
- End Date if Temporary:
- Hours Per Week: 35
- Salary Range:
Reporting to the Assistant Dean of Student Affairs, the Senior Coordinator of Student Accommodations oversees the coordination, communication, and operations of student accommodations at the School of Nursing. This position will serve as a primary resource for students and faculty in understanding their rights and responsibilities related to reasonable accommodations. Subject to business needs, we may support flexible and hybrid work arrangements. Options will be discussed during the interview process.
Responsibilities will include:
- Oversight and delivery of accommodations and services for students with disability or title IX accommodations enrolled in MS, Doctoral, and non-degree programs at the School of Nursing
- Serve as the nursing Liaison with the Office of Disability Services, and primary point person for students and faculty questions on disability accommodation needs
- Ensure registered students are connected to appropriate services and reasonable accommodations are enacted
- In partnership with the Office of Disability Services, counsel and advise students on University and School policies and procedures related to accommodations
- Manage active caseload of nursing students with academic and clinical accommodations, and schedule timely meetings with students newly approved for accommodations
- Interface regularly with faculty members to provide accommodation notifications and provide academic accommodation arrangements
- Manage and update accommodation database
- Hire note takers and ensure approved students receive notes on a timely basis
- Coordinate testing accommodations for MDE students while protecting the integrity of exams, which includes securing a test location and proctor, communicating with student and faculty members, providing proctor instructions, being on site to ensure a smooth exam process and troubleshoot exam issues
- Oversee testing accommodations as well manage other academic and classroom accommodations for doctoral and non-degree testing accommodations, and provide support and problem-solving assistance to Student Affairs Coordinators who coordinate these testing accommodations
- Evaluates the effectiveness of processes and procedures of student accommodations. Recommends and updates policies and procedures for continuous improvement of testing activities and accommodations
- Troubleshoot and track accommodation concerns/issues and provide regular updates to Assistant Dean of Student Affairs
- Lead event accessibility planning efforts for events such as Visiting Day, Orientation, White Coat Ceremony, and Graduation
- Managing other projects as needed and/or assigned.
Requires a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in education and experience. Minimum of 3 years of experience in the provisions of services for students with disabilities in a college/university setting or related field.
The Accommodation Specialist must possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills, both oral and written. Proven ability to communicate clearly and interact effectively with students, faculty, and staff. Must possess attributes of compassion, patience, and respect for others.
The individual in this role will be able to prioritize multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment and be detail-oriented. They will work successfully under pressure, and have the ability to manage unexpected situations independently. They will have demonstrated the ability to exhibit excellent judgment and discretion, while maintaining confidentiality at all times.
The position requires early mornings and/or evenings at times to administer exams.
Master’s degree in a related field. Experience coordinating testing accommodations in a higher education setting highly preferred.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.