- Requisition no: 517350
- Work type: Full Time
- Location: Medical Center
- School/Department: Division of Scholarship & Rsch
- Grade: Grade 105
- Categories: Research (Lab and Non-Lab), Administrative Support
- Job Type: Officer of Administration
- Bargaining Unit:
- Regular/Temporary: Regular
- End Date if Temporary:
- Hours Per Week: 35
- Salary Range:
Reporting to the Vice Dean for Research and Strategic Innovations and working directly with Principal Investigators (PIs) of multiple federally- and non-federally-funded research studies, the Data Manager will be a core member of a high-performing, fast-paced, productive, and close-knit research support team within the Office of Scholarship and Research Development at Columbia University School of Nursing including three full-time Statisticians and a full-time Director, Senior Coordinator, and Administrative Assistant.
The Data Manager will be responsible for providing support for multiple research projects being conducted by Columbia Nursing faculty, postdoctoral fellows, and predoctoral students. The primary responsibilities of the Data Manager will include:
- Maintaining database security, merging, storage, management and cleaning;
- Ensuring that high quality data and the Integrity of the data are protected;
- Upgrading of database systems to meet the needs of research teams, ranging from senior scientists to new PhD students;
- Training of students and staff in data management;
- Processing data and preparing reports on various projects, including presenting data in charts, graphs, and tables;
- Collaborating with and facilitating communication with research team members ranging from senior scientists to new PhD students;
- Working closely with the School’s statistical team, including 3 faculty members;
- Assisting with dissemination including the development of original abstracts and manuscripts;
- Managing the secure acquisition and transfer of research-related data by developing processes for the efficient, secure transfer of encrypted data;
- Ensuring compliance with all data security requirements by working with the CUSON administrative staff to create processes for monitoring compliance with the Data Use Agreements;
- Working with research staff to create a center-wide process for cleaning raw data and preparing it for research use (including performing various data quality and plausibility checks);
- Working with CUSON's IT to ensure that data transfer and data storage can be carried out efficiently;
- Collaborate with CUSON research staff and/or PIs to ensure that all research data are of the highest quality;
- Collaborate with CUSON's Principal Investigators and research staff to produce searchable data documents to guide research acquisition; and
- Performing other responsibilities and projects as needed and assigned.
The Data Manager will be under the general direction of the PIs of projects, and may supervise PhD students assigned to projects directly related to the data analysis.
This is a full-time, permanent position.
Requires a bachelor’s degree or equivalent in education and experience, plus four (4) years of related experience.
Related experience in technology, information management, relational database management, data mining or statistics, including programming, managing and maintaining data systems.
The ideal incumbent will have:
- Strong mathematical skills and good technical knowledge, including strong knowledge in computers;
- Effective in communication skills at multiple levels, and well-developed writing and presentation skills;
- Expertise in a variety of data management software (e.g., Excel, Access, REDCap, SQL, Python,R, STATA & SAS) and data management processes;
- Experience in working with ‘big data’ (i.e., extremely large data sets that may be analyzed computationally to reveal patterns, trends, and associations, especially relating to human behavior and interactions)
- Master or Ph.D degree is preferred.
- Healthcare system data experience a plus.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.