- Requisition no: 514419
- Work type: Full Time
- Location: Medical Center
- School/Department: Division of Finance & Admin
- Grade: Grade 104
- Categories: Finance/Accounting, Administrative Support
- Job Type: Officer of Administration
- Regular/Temporary: Regular
- Hours Per Week: 35
Reporting to the Director of Accounting & Financial Planning at the School of Nursing, the Financial Analyst will act as a liaison between the Office of Finance and Administration and other University administrative offices to provide exceptional, first-class quality service to all customers.
Responsibilities will include the following:
- Preparing quarterly financial reports of non-federal, unrestricted accounts and performing quarterly budget-to-actual variance analyses.
- Completing data analyses utilizing pivot tables, formula-based calculations (SUMIFs, V-Lookups, etc.) and other advanced functions within Microsoft Excel.
- Processing journal entries to correct expense allocations.
- Assisting in preparing the annual operating budget and the annual fiscal year-end close activities.
- Assisting in developing automated/streamlined processes in order to eliminate duplications and coordinating related data requirements.
- Assisting with other financial planning projects and tasks, as assigned.
Accounts Payable and Procurement
- Providing back-up support to the Accounts Payable & Procurement team members.
- Procurement: Processing accounts payable transactions via the Accounting & Reporting at Columbia (ARC) portal; completing monthly reconciliations of procurement card transactions; and conducting spot audits.
- Payroll Accounting: Processing/recording salary expense allocations via the Accounting & Reporting at Columbia (HR PAC) portal.
- Training: Developing training courses and materials for School of Nursing faculty and staff on Accounts Payable and Procurement policies, and coordinating and leading these trainings on a regular basis.
Requires a bachelor’s degree or equivalent in education and experience, plus three (3) years of related experience.
The Financial Analyst must have a working knowledge of basic accounting principles. The successful candidate will have advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Access). Strong interpersonal, organizational and problem-solving skills are necessary for this role. The incumbent will also have the proven ability to manage multiple projects and tasks to meet strict deadlines, be detail-oriented, and be able to work independently.
Some experience with the following Columbia University financial tools is desirable for this position: Accounting & Reporting at Columbia (ARC & PAC), Concur. Prior experience working in higher education finance is also preferred. Knowledge of SQL is a plus.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.