- Job Type: Support Staff - Union
- Bargaining Unit: SSA
- Regular/Temporary: Regular
- Hours Per Week: 35
- Salary Range: 46,226.44
The laboratory of Professor Harris Wang in the Department of Systems Biology is seeking a research Technician B. The work in the Wang laboratory is focused on diverse questions in systems and synthetic biology including mammalian microbiome function, host-microbiome interactions in health and disease, microbial horizontal gene flow, and foundational technology development. The candidate for this position will carry out routine molecular biology and microbiology experiments, microbiome studies in vitro and in animal models, library preparations for next-generation sequencing, and microbial cultivation studies to serve ongoing projects. He/she may also perform general laboratory management responsibilities, including media preparation and ordering of supplies.
- Must be good at interacting and collaborating with lab personnel on diverse projects in the lab.
- Must be able to accurately record data and keep a very neat, well organized and up-to-date lab notebook on ongoing projects.
- Technical proficiency in laboratory molecular biology bench-work, genomics-based analyses and laboratory automation necessary for achieving precise and consistent results.
- Must have good organizational and management skills to carry out complex tasks and to communicate the results to lab personnel and the principal investigator.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in education and work experience.
- Prior laboratory experience in microbiology.
- Meticulous, attention to detail and focus on accuracy.
- Well organized and good time management skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required.
- Must be able to work independently in an orderly manner and in accordance with all safety regulations.
- 2-3 years of post-college work experience
- Prior laboratory experience in mouse experiments and next-generation sequencing protocols are a strong plus.
Equal Opportunity Employer / Disability / Veteran
Columbia University is committed to the hiring of qualified local residents.